“Moose Valley” aka Snyderville History
Into Early Moose Valley History
Snyderville c. 1900’s
Millenia Ago - Early in this century archeologists studied the Summit County area. They discovered pre-historic bones of mastodons, woolly mammoths, and other dinosaur era animals. The bones were found along a stream on the west side of Silver Creek Estates, and what would have been the west bank of the very large lake that extended from Quarry Mountain up to the north end of the valley of Silver Creek Estates. Several of these retrieved bones are now stored under the bleachers of Cougar Stadium in Provo, Utah.
40,000 B.C. - Saber-toothed tigers hunt bison in what is now the Snyderville Basin. Around 1958 B.Y.U. geologists found mastodon skeletons along the stream beds.
400 A.D. - It is believed the Fremont people, a pre-Colombian tribe that recently received their name from the Fremont River in Utah were the earliest group of identifiable Indians to live in Summit County where a few dwelling sites have been discovered. These Indians are named after the Fremont River, where they lived, the river in turn was named for John Charles Frémont, an American explorer who passed through Utah between 1842-1853, exploring our county at least three times..
Other Native American cultures that later lived in Summit County include the Goshutes, the Utes, and the Shoshone.
1600 A.D. - Indian bands travel the high alpine valleys in search of game.
1776 - The Dominguez-Escalante expedition makes it as far as the Provo valley on their way to California before retreating back to Santa Fe, New Mexico.
“Undaunted and eager, the last century’s pioneers rushed into this wild frontier. To them it was a limitless land, full of riches and treasure. Yet so uncaring they cut and dug with little foresight, they used the land, fashioning empires of gold and silver. Few glimpsed this land’s future wealth. For within these rock peaks and green valleys hid a different treasure, a rich and robust landscape of clean, spacious beauty for a new century’s frontier.
This wondrous place is Parley’s Park, a broad valley backed by high, glaciated peaks, where spring run-off has layered it with deep, dark earth; and where along its weaving streams, native cottonwood and willow, grow white aspen and oak. Spruce and pine cover the western slope.
Here, in our valley, during distant summer months, Ute and Shoshone Indians camped at the streams edge, as downslope winds brought clear, cold nights. They fished and swam in our mountain streams and hunted deer, moose, and elk. And during colorful autumn days they dug bulbs and gathered berries for the brisk, winter months ahead. Theirs was an appreciative stay.
Shoshone Village in Parley’s Park area around 1850’s
And then passed the wandering trappers and mountain men, Jedediah Smith, Miles Goodyear, Orson Pratt, etc.. A lonesome band, hard and weathered, who traced high mountain streams in search of thick pelts of beaver and mink. They trapped their riches and then trekked on, leaving the valley to recover. Next came weary settlers, searching for passable routes to the distant valleys beyond. These thick, green pines and broad, grassy plains refreshed and pleased their minds. Some stayed, some continued west, some returned.
Soon cattle grazed on tall meadow grass. But the valley’s untouched beauty could be ignored no more. As progress pushed hard across our meadow and streams the settlers forged their lives.. Samuel Comstock Snyder built a lumber mill; Melissa Burton Coray Kimball and husband, William Henry Kimball, ran a Pony Express and Butterfield stagecoach station at Kimball’s Junction, here they rented rooms to passers-by. They raised their family’s here in Snyder’s village and buried them in the little cemetery at what is now the end of Roffe Court, and some of their descendants live in Silver Springs.
As the axes flashed in the timbered depths, their hamlet grew at the mountain and valley’s edge. Soon other riches were uncovered, beneath the turf, bright, glittering silver gave birth to the boom town of Parley’s Park City. Thousands poured into the narrow ravines and small shanties quickly spotted the hills. For half a century they came and went, over $400,000,000 in silver made names for Thomas Kearns, David Keith, and George Hearst, father of William Randolph Hearst. When the silver veins dimmed the miners abandoned the scarred mountains and now treeless slopes.
Our valley recovered with an ever-giving and bountiful display of beauty. Then provided us with a new wealth, the rich resource of white powder that is bountifully harvested at Silver Lake, Treasure Mountain, ParkWest, and around each of our homes. This new century has brought new pioneers who saw a different view of this land. They have embraced the meadows, and the streams, and the peaks, and share in its clean, ever-changing, breath-taking splendor.
People work better where they live better. We are so fortunate to live in this diverse and inspiring mountain meadow, governed by the unity of nature herself.” — Text paraphrased from the original Silver Springs sales brochure, 1979
Pioneer cabin off White Pine Canyon Road and Highway 224
Early Pioneers in Snyderville:
Written c. 1979. Additions and photos added by Lucy Archer.
1823 - Mountain man Jedediah Smith in passes through the Kamas Valley on his way from Wyoming to California.
Samuel Snyder - (1808-1866) In 1850, when the road was completed up “Big Canyon”, Sam Snyder chose a location for his home on Spring Creek. This being in the Southwest section of Parley’s Park, where the streams come down from the high mountains, and the land starts to level out toward the flat meadows. Here he started to build a saw mill. The waters from White Pine, Red Pine, and Willow Creek were directed into a reservoir - the water then used to turn the wheel and operate the first grist mill,saw mill, and turning and lathing machines in Summit County and one of the first in Utah.
The mountains were heavily forested with pines and quaking aspens. Many of the first homes in Salt Lake City were built from lumber from “Snyder’s Mill”. To help in this business Samuel brought with him his two married daughters and families Parmelia (Meltiar) Hatch and Betsey (Jesse) Johnstun, as well as his oldest son, Ephraim Snyder, who was 20 years old. Samuel was asked to be Presiding Elder over the people that started to come to the area.
The Kimball Overland Stage Hotel and Pony Express Station built c.1860.
Still standing on the Bitner Ranch at 630 W. Bitner Road and I-80 (2009)
William Henry Kimball - the second settler in Parley’s Park. He started a stagecoach business in 1854, vying with Brigham Young’s X-Y Express for the federal mail contracts. His business was interrupted when Pres. Young called him to serve a mission for the Mormon Church to England 1854-1857. After his return, around 1860 or 1862 William built the Kimball Hotel and Overland Stage Stop in Parley’s Park, a place well known for many years to travelers on the “Old Overland Pony Express” mail route, and eventually the route was part of the coast to coast Lincoln Highway.. William lived most of the time in Salt Lake City with his first wife Mary Davenport. He married his second wife on December 24, 1851, the widow of William Coray. Melissa Burton Coray (1828-1903) and her seven children were the resident proprietors of the Kimball Hotel. Melissa ran the store, hotel and post office at Kimball Junction in Summit County, Utah for many years until they sold it
Kimball Overland Stage Hotel now Bitner homestead and sheep ranch (2009)
A.k.a. Kimball Ranch and Bitner Ranch (630 W. Bitner Road) Summit County, Utah
When silver was discovered in the area, the need for regular transportation service was recognized and in 1872 Kimball opened his Park City - Salt Lake City route. Kimball’s ingenuity and reputation for delivering on time gained him and his sons (Kimball Bros.) many mail contracts. They established routes into western Utah and eastern Nevada. With the changing times, Kimball Bros. branched out into a livery stable and then a motor coach line and service station.
Kimball assisted in bringing immigrants to Utah, and went to meet the Edward Martin “frozen” handcart company, he served as Deputy U.S. marshal three years. Received reward for discovering the first coal mine within 40 miles of Salt Lake City, known as “Sprague” mine. William was Captain of minutemen in early Indian troubles; sergeant-at-arms in legislature two terms; brigadier-general of Utah militia; drove mail and stage lines between Salt Lake and Park City between 1870-1885. Died at Coalville, Utah on December 30, 1907.
The United States Board of Geographic Names in October 1994 named a 9,763-foot peak in the Sierra Nevada mountains in honor of Melissa Coray, the wife of Mormon Battalion Sgt. William Coray. Sgt. Coray was among 45 battalion men who blazed the “highway” through Carson Pass, about 50 miles southwest of present-day Carson City, Nevada accompanied by his wife Melissa.
John Dixon (1818-1853) and John Quayle (1833-1853) were killed by Indians on August 7, 1853. John Hoaglund was wounded. Jesse Johnstun escaped by running all the way up Spring Canyon, over the mountains into Salt Lake City. President Brigham Young ordered the settlers to build a Fort which they did northeast of the Snyder mill. Some homes were inside, and at night the cattle, wagons and equipment wee brought inside. At other times the Indians would set fire to several piles of lumber, so Mr. Snyder resorted to hiding the lumber in high grass and in ditches.
Chester Comstock Snyder (1815-1888) - son of Isaac Snyder and Lovisa Comstock, brother of Samuel Snyder, brought his third wife Electa Murdock (1841-1887) to Parley’s Park, they were the first couple to remain here and be buried here at Snyder’s Cemetery.
George Gideon Snyder (1819-1887) lived here a short time before going further south, living with his seven wives and children, into the “Park” living with his seven wives and children and naming and settling that area known as Park City.
Ephraim Stockwell Snyder (1831-1904) son of Samuel C. Snyder and Henrietta Stockwell, husband of Elizabeth McNaughton, also settled in Parley’s Park.
Besides the many hardships of pioneer life, these people suffered from the severe cold and deep snow, being deeper than could be found in the other intermountain regions. The growing season was short and often crops did not mature. If traveling in the winter and not near any protection from the weather at night time, it was necessary to keep moving the livestock so they wouldn’t freeze to death. [During one Silver Springs winter in the 1980’s one or more of Doc Osguthorpe’s cows were reported to have frozen to death in the meadows off East Meadows Drive.]
The native meadow grass grew and was cut by scythes and stacked for winter feeding. The valley was a natural for cattle raising and the dairy business. The L.D.S. Church ran a dairy farm on the location of Silver Springs for over a hundred years. The other important local industry was lumbering.
In 1860 there were approximately 150 members of the L.D.S. Church in Parley’s Park. Jesse W. Johnstun (1820-1860 or 1866) married to Samuel C. Snyder’s daughter Betsy Ann Snyder in 1848, became the Presiding Elder and conducted any business or meetings. On the 6th of May 1860 Jesse was accidentally killed in the Snyder saw mill. [Thanks to 4G grandson, Joseph Johnstun for confirmation of this date.]
1860 - Spring Creek Ranch a.k.a. now as the home of Nichols Swaner. This early pioneer home was built from local red sandstone blocks.
Spring Creek Ranch belongs to Nichols Swaner at 1318 W. Bitner Road
however the mailing address is 6598 Glenwild Dr., Summit County, Utah 84098
This historic home serves as the headquarters for the Swaner Nature Preserve Organization.
[Where is the “Black Angus Ranch” that belonged to Patriarch Evans and his wife Lola around the mid-1980’s? It was in the vicinity of the recently built Black Hawk Station subdivision.]
Burt Kimball then Stovens who built rock home was later occupied by the Edward Tree family, who sold to a group called “3Ms”, who sold to Leland Swaner in the 1960’s.
Another home built in the 1860’s was the Thomas Powers Ranch at 4137 Hwy. 224.
In 1887 William Archibald purchased the Powers Ranch. This house was built in 1927.
Thomas Powers Ranch barn and shop, cinder block small milking barn on right.
In June of the same year Ephraim S. Snyder was called to preside over the Saints by William W. Cluff, the Presiding Bishop in Summit County. Ephraim, Chester, Jake Workman, and Joseph Black were the trustees for the first schoolhouse, a small log building in the heart of Snyder’s Village, located north of where Jim Murnin lives today.
1866 - Thomas E. Jeremy Sr. of Carmarthenshire, South Wales joined the Mormon Church in 1846 and traveled aboard the Buena Vista to America, and then to Utah. His son, Thomas Evans Jeremy, Jr. (1839-1925) and his wife Elizabeth Petit Jeremy (c1925-1919), parents of thirteen children (seven of whom survived infancy), built a stone cabin in northwest Summit County. There the family raised hay and a herd of nearly 10,000 sheep that were wintered at the west end of Salt Lake City at 2450 West 3300 North along the Jordan River. Thomas told advantage of The Homestead Act of 1862, signed into law by President Abraham Lincoln, provided applicants with 160 acres of land. One stipulation was that the recipients live on the land six months of each year. Around 1890, the Jeremy family used the revenue from their other businesses to increase their land holdings to over 20,000 acres just east of Parley’s Summit extending nearly to what is now known as Kimball’s Junction.
While living in Salt Lake City, Thomas Jeremy was elected as city councilman. He co-founded the Cambrian Society, a society to preserve a love and interest in the Welsh culture. Thomas built the first shallow salt crystallization pools and refinery. His Jeremy Fuel & Grain Company delivered salt, grain, and coal from Carbon County, to customers along the Wasatch Front. Ethan John Jeremy (1869-1948) continued his father’s business interests, particularly the expansion of the Jeremy Ranch in Summit County. Ethan’s son, Thomas Ethan Jeremy (1904-1979) was the last of four generations to own and operative the Jeremy Ranch as a successful sheep enterprise.
1874 - the Snyder Pioneer Cemetery began on what became the Richards Farm off Hwy 224. Today it is located at the end of Roffe Road (a short cul-de-sac) just off Mahre Drive from Highway 224 in Summit County, Utah. First Recorded Burial in 1874 ~ Last Recorded Burial 1920. Samuel Snyder purchased the ground from Parley Pratt for a yoke of oxen. Snyder Cemetery - The settlers had been here long enough that death started touching their lives. An area was chosen on a prominent knoll in the Snyder area, one quarter mile west of Highway 224, as a Cemetery. This remains today (1979, 2008), enclosed by a black iron fence. The headstones vary from big, beautiful, ornate ones to only a rock with one name and dates scratched on it by a saddened parent. About 30 people are at rest there, many children, but among the adults are Chester Snyder, his wife Electa, and Ephraim and his wife Susannah. The record of this is in the Genealogical Library.
James Archibald (Snyder) home sold in 1900 to George Q. Cannon
James Archibald house (now painted green)- smaller building Pace-Archibald store (2008)
located at 4459 Highway 224, Summit County, Utah
Mormon apostle George Q. Cannon purchased the property in 1900 for $10,400 from the Snyder family.
On July 9, 1877, both the Parley’s Park Ward and the new Summit Stake were organized. They covered a large area, and many groups of settlers. As far as Parley’s Summit on the west , to Atkinson’s and Pace’s Junction on the east, to Kimball’s Junction on the North, endless boundary on the south, which included Park City’s Mining Camp. George Snyder’s family was the only L.D.S. family there this early.
Joseph H. Black - was the first Bishop of the new Parley’s Park Ward in 1877, but only served one year because of moving to the Vernal, Utah area.
Alexander H. Stanley - served as Bishop during 1878-1881. During his tenure John Taylor took over the Presidency of the church after Brigham Young’s death. A new schoolhouse was built, funds from taxation. It was 22 X38 feet. (This was also used as a Meetinghouse). The location was further south on the bend of the Highway, near a store run by Pace and Archibald. Their customers being miners en route to Park City.
Another saw mill was built at the mouth of White Pine Canyon by William Gibson. Sam Snyder’s saw mill had been closed. Bishop Stanley moved from the area in 1881.
The 1880 Census showed Parley’s Park Precinct had 314 people, 24 families, 26 homes. Snyderville had 291 people,59 families, 35 homes.
George Milton Pace - was Bishop from 1881-1897, the year of his 60th birthday he died at Atkinson,
In 1883 a new meetinghouse was built, at the cost of $1,200. The funds raised by the Bishopric. A rustic building 28 X 18 feet located further north where the State Highway Road Dept. buildings stand today, only closer toward the hills. There is a natural spring there, and this is where they would get water for the Sacrament. A Parley’s Cemetery was started there, but you can find graves out closer to the Highway, not in the Cemetery, maybe because of weather they were unable to take and bury th deceased into the higher elevation.
Wilford Woodruff was now President of the L.D.S. Church in Salt Lake City. At long last Utah is a state, no longer a territory.
Stoven Dairy and Ice House were built around 1880 (ice house burned down in 1990’s) was a popular dairy with an underground earthen vault where winter ice was kept until mid-July or longer. The Stoven Dairy & Ice House farmhouse has been converted into an office for Mike Barnes of Trend Construction.
In 1889 the railroad was finished from Coalville to Kimball’s Ranch. Elder Andrew Jenson, a Church General Authority visited Parley’s Park. He described it as a beautiful area, with a group of worthy Saints. (Park City area no longer part of Parley’s Park area, They are now being organized into their own Ward.
Hans O. Young - Bishop from 1887-1901–The records show increased activity in the Gorgoza area in Parley’s Summit (c.3863 Kilby Road). Hans is credited with ownership of a ranch at Kimball Junction that included the stone house and barn at 5683 S.R. 224 known as the Wallin farm, now (2011) owned by the Swaner Nature Preserve.
c. 1889 - John W. Young - son of Brigham Young, promoted and saw a railroad built up Parley’s Canyon, a difficult and costly labor. “Parley’s Canyon Utah Central” included a trestle over Lamb’s Canyon the frightened most passengers and kept some from riding the train, it included a tunnel and many sharp turns. After John Young had borrowed all of the money he could possibly get in this country for the costly railroad, he went to Europe where he succeeded in interesting a Spanish nobleman, Don Rodriquez Velasquez de la Gorgoziandus (spelling varies, also Gorgozada), in the new railroad to the immensely rich mining camp of Park City. John told him of the great metropolis that would be built and promised to name it for him –Gorgoza. He got the million and half and kept his promise as the name Gorgoza at Summit Park proves.
Some pioneers in the Gorgoza area include Eaton (Ethan) Jeremy and his son Tom Jeremy. They owned a very large tract of land. Part of the Jeremy Ranch went to the now improved dirt road State Road 65 in East Canyon along Mormon Flat. They would need to hire 2- to 30 young men each summer to work their large livestock business. They built one of the lovelier homes in the area, known as the Jeremy Ranch House, which has been kept intact and moved into Snyderville on Old Ranch Road when the Interstate Highway cut into the area. Jack Gallivan of the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper restored it and uses it today to entertain international friends and his family.
The railroad was really a boon to travel and transporting all kinds of merchandise into Salt Lake and needed supplies back up the canyon. Besides farm and dairy products, there was a famous “Ice House’ located north of Kilby’s home on the creek next to the railroad. Here ice was cut during the winter and stored in an Ice House, probably in coal slack and sawdust., then in summer shipped on the train into Salt Lake City, for the ready market there. Also school students traveled into “the new schoolhouse” which had just been built - 2 rooms on Old Ranch Road, and near the railroad tracks. One half mile from Snyder’s Junction . The railroad crossed the valley in a north and south direction where the large sewer system was installed in 1979, the tracks were removed in the early 1940’s. This schoolhouse was used by all students until school buses were started, taking the students into Park City.
Early settlers in lower Parley’s Canyon were Mitchell’s and Roach’s, who started a rest stop known as the “Half-way House”. Some of their buildings still stand in the area of Mountain Dell Golf course today. Roach sold to Bob Lee.
1900 - A two story brick house was built on property on the west side of what is now Highway 224, about a half mile south of Kimball Junction.
This property includes a dairy farm with a milking house and a large white barn probably built in 1930 with wood drop siding by Bill and Diane Wallin, residents. Currently the farm is part of the Swaner Nature Preserve along Hwy 224, near Kimball Junction in Summit County, Utah.
Hans O. Young Ranch, later Wallin Dairy Farm at 5376 (aka 5683) Hwy 224, Summit County, Utah
Now part of the Swaner Nature Preserve founded in 1993, in memory of Leland S. Swaner (1920-1992).
Wallin Dairy Farm - Swaner Nature Preserve home at 5376 Hwy 224 Summit County, Utah, 2009
Wallin Dairy Farm - milking barn at 5376 Hwy. 224.
Wallin hay barn, now a part of the Swaner Nature Preserve (1993)
Angus J. Cannon - was Bishop between 1901-1916. He lived with his family in a big rock house in the heart of Snyderville. This home had as its later owners, Gene Cannon, Hugh J. Joseph, R.H. Fletcher, and Lou Felton. Rock houses were now being built because of the many sandstone quarries in the surrounding mountains. The rock was also being shipped by train to Salt Lake City and being used in road building.
The Church Meetinghouse (1883) was centrally located for Gorgoza members and other Parley’s Park members. In 1910 Heber J. Grant, a General Authority, visited. He made two strong suggestions. 1. Move this building away from this cold spot. 2. Put glass in the windows. The people were so poor that they had put cloth or other coverings over some of the windows as they had done in their own homes and barns.
Jens Peter Krouse Rasmussen was born on
Children were: Christian Richard Kruse RASMUSSEN, Bodil Marie Rasmussen, Erastus Lehrman K RASMUSSEN, James Royberg Kruse RASMUSSEN , Orson K RASMUSSEN, Andrew K RASMUSSEN, Aaron Krouse RASMUSSEN, Osmond K RASMUSSEN (twin), Osmer K. RASMUSSEN (twin) .
Ralph Bistila of Ishpeming, Michigan flies from Ecker Hill, Summit County c.1915-1920 or 1949.
One son, Christian Richard Kruse Rasmussen was born on
Selma married James B. Kilby (July 1921-Feb 2009) on December 8, 1941. In 1945 Jim and Selma bought the “Welcome Inn Cafe.” In 1961 James was appointed as the Park City precinct Justice of the Peace for Summit County. He held that position until he retired in 1987. James Kilby also served on the Park City Board of Education, was a charter member of the Summit County Planning Commission, and the Snyderville Basin Sewer District Board, and served as the Park City Judge for many years. James and Selma had two children, Lisa Kilby (Keith) Tumelson, and Larry Kilby (married Kathleen)
1911 - George Sweeney Pace was born and died in 1911 in Summit County. He was buried in a little known patch of ground near the Chevron pumping station located on the southwest corner of Kimball Junction. This area is rumored to have two or three groups of graves, one group of Indian graves, one for the local early Pace family, and another not identified. This cemetery dates later than the Snyder Cemetery at Bear Hollow. Another headstone records the birth and death of Clyde Elisha Johnson born and died on December 5, 1933. Clyde was the son of Irvin William Johnson (son of Clyde Linton Johnson and Jennie Syvilla Noll Johnson) and Vera Pace Johnson (daughter of Freeman Elisha Pace and Minnie Isabell Sweeney Pace).
1938 - This house at 5373 Highway 224 was built (PP-93) in 1938. Owners were Lewis and Jean Hixson.
Hixson House at 5373 Highway 224 was built in 1938.
Marie Rasmussen enlarged their store and added a small restaurant know as the “Welcome Inn Cafe” for years on Highway 40.
Jim Dahl built Hi-Ute Ranch, and had a large piece of land fanning south into the mountains, which was later sold to Otto and Paul Buehner.
c.1995 is now 200 acres.
Hi Ute Elk Ranch Sleigh Rides
c.2001 Winter at Hi Ute Ranch, Summit County, Utah. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org
During the time it was called Hi Ute Elk Ranch because there was an elk herd of approximately 60 being grazed behind the barn. Partner Chris Denver from Roosevelt, Utah helped maintain the herd.
Ranch panorama - see barn on left
Burt Kimball, then Stovens who built the rock home, was later occupied by the Edward Tree family, who sold to a group called “3Ms”, who sold to Swaner in the 1960’s. [Check different house east of Stoven known as “Black Angus Ranch” where Dale and Lola Evans, stake patriarch, lived.]
The Flinders Mountain Meadow Ranch of today had been Pace property, they had sold to A.E. Carter, this area being an important dairy producer.
Milton Bitner was Bishop from 1916-1924. He bought this and other acreage from a big land owner, Mr. Hoffman, which is still today the Bitner family properties. Bitner became a big sheepman, his sons today are carrying on the same business. Because of the famous
Full-time missionaries were assigned; they would live with the members, for free room and board. The Bitner’s were their host when they were in the area.
One meeting was held on
During this time an exciting thing happened when he was Bishop. Electricity was brought from
Black Willow trees lined Hwy 224 for around 100 years until they were irreverently cut down by UDOT when the highway was widened c. 1988. A travesty. The roadway was a long line of fallen giants. Did anyone take pictures? It was heartbreaking.
Home of Wilford W. Snyder off Hwy 224 (2008)
Wilford W. Snyder’s house was demolished on May 5, 2009 on behalf of P.C. Ventures.
1921 - Frances Redmund built a dairy farm at 1352 White Pine Canyon Road.
Wilford W. Snyder was Bishop from March to August 1924. Parley’s Ward was disorganized in August 1924. A change had occurred. The saw mills were no longer here for employment. The land and climate was good for dairy cattle and livestock, but to graze large herds it took a lot of acreage. So, the small landowners sold and moved elsewhere. The total population in 1930 was 125, only a percentage of these being L.D.S. The L.D.S. members were asked to combine with
Rose Snyder was on the Summit Relief Society Stake Board as a teacher from 1934 to 1941, at which time she, Wilford, and family moved to
David Stockwell Snyder, born the 1st of April1867, died a few years later on
Other names would include George J. Stahle, in 1909, answered a newspaper ad that Stoven’s Dairy and Ice House (aka Spring Creek Ranch, now addressed as 6598 Glenwood Dr.) had placed, they needing a herdsman. He worked for them a year, then hired out to Bishop Cannon, who helped him buy 80 acres at 995 Old Ranch Road from Mr. Payne. He married and raised his family here. His son Elmer Stahle is living on the property where there are two homes. The mother, Bertha Stahle, lived a long, active life until the winter of 1979. She died on her 97th birthday.
On the southeast corner of
Next would be Dave Loerstcher (Bishop in
Jim Murnin lives today in the Wilford Snyder home, which neighbors what was once known as the “Upper” Fletcher Ranch. R.H. Fletcher had been one of the original settlers, and built the home and barns where Bill Wallin now lives (that is Diane & Bill Wallin who was the Summit County Commissioner for many years in the 1980s and early 1990s) . Later Fletcher’s bought extensive acreage from Gilmores and Cannons, which was the heart of the Snyder holdings years past, and meant that they owned property on both sides of Highway 224. When Lou Felton, who had been in the area working, married Ellen Fletcher, this couple lived in the old rock house on the upper Fletcher Ranch. This couple are the parents of Beverly Jean Felton Pace who is so active in the Snyderville Ward at this time. (She married Standley Brown Pace of the Pace family in Silver Creek or the Pace-Atkinson Junction mentioned in the Summit County History webpage.)
In 1959 the upper ranch was sold to Canyon Rim Stake from
During 1930-1973 fires were a threat and a reality to all families. It seems that every land owner has been affected either in their homes or their barns.
The meetinghouse stood many years after members started meeting with
Avaron Osguthorpe, or Doc, owned more land at this time than any other person. He bought some property from Pat and Nan McPolin, and had other property along Highway 40 where he has been in the dairy business for 30 years (written in 1979). He runs sheep in the Red Pine area during the summer, and has many acres of hay which he cuts for his livestock business. His son Steve Osguthorpe and family live in the ward and run this section of his business.
Around 1977 a Salt Lake optometrist, Gerald Hawley “Jiggs” Bagley (1922-1999), developed interest in the 12,500 acres east of Parley’s Summit in Summit County known as The Jeremy Ranch. Jiggs paid $5 million for the land, $3 million to build the clubhouse, infrastructure for another $6 million. After a ground breaking ceremony on May 1979, Jiggs hired renown golfer Arnold Palmer to design and develop an award winning 18-hole golf course on this land. Jiggs then promoted the Jeremy Ranch ShootOuts (later Shootdown) events beginning in 1982 and brought PGA Tournaments to the Moose Valley basin. He was responsible for bringing world class golfers and tennis players to Summit County and to Salt Lake City. The ShootOut had an eleven year run. Around that time Jiggs was the developer of Canyon Racquet Club, was a 50% owner of the Utah Jazz basketball team, held a large interest in Red Pine Condominiums at the base of ParkWest (now Canyons) Ski Resort, was owner/and or developer of Hi-Country Estates in west SLC, and had other real estate ventures.
2009, August 22: Discovery could delay road work if human remains are found
Patrick Parkinson, Of the Record staff
Posted: 08/21/2009 04:01:40 PM MDT
“Plastic flowers adorn several headstones encountered by crews building a road near Utah Olympic Park west of the Library at State Road 224 (Utah Olympic Highway) and Landmark Drive. “They appear to be historic, maybe pioneer graves,” Assistant State Archeologist Ron Rood said. But excavation is underway as The Boyer Company builds a road near the possible grave markers. At least some of the graves are in proximity [of the new road], if not very threatened by what they are doing,” Rood said he met with the contractor Tuesday in the Snyderville Basin. The Boyer Company agreed to hire an archeological excavator to search for human remains, Rood said. State law prohibits the “abuse and desecration of a dead human body,” he explained.
“[Boyer Company] would have to get somebody who is legally able to do that work,” Rood said. The grave stones of George Sweeney Pace 1911 and Clyde Elisha Johnson 1933 are visible at the site. But graves are regularly disturbed by land developers, said Gary Kimball, a historian in Park City. It’s done all the time and I don’t have the answer,” Kimball said. “In the name of progress, they’ll always get disturbed.” But it’s in the public’s long-term interest to respect the past.
2011 - March - A group of business entities led by Kenneth J. Abdullah, 48, sharing the same Southern California address in Pacific Palisades has quietly snapped up four Main Street properties since March, a buying spree that quickly made the umbrella owner one of the most important players in Park City. According to Summit County property records, the transactions included: the Imperial Hotel that went to a business entity called Imperial Hotel Resort Group LLC. The deal was finalized June 2, 2011; a majority of the units in the Silver Queen Hotel; a building at 692 Main Street; and a vacant lot at 205 Main Street. Also see Ronald Wayne Burkle.
2011 - July 22 - Wolf Mountain sells to newcomer, Kenneth James Abdullah
Joe Wrona, a Park City attorney who represents the buyers, Ken Abdullah (Abdalla) and his wife Kay “Kitty” C.Stoneburner, said the business entity is known as Canyon Mountain Partners, LLC. It purchased 100 percent of the ownership interests in Wolf Mountain Resorts, which included the interests of Kenny Griswold and Michael Baker.. Terms were not disclosed. An Abdalla firm also recently closed on the purchase of the 46 Fairway Springs Ski & Golf Villas development at the Earl Kemp designed golf course, which is under construction at the base of Canyons, scheduled to open summer 2013.
2012 - January - James William Bloom house and property at 4290 S.R. 224, Snyderville, UT
4290 Highway 224, Snyderville, Summit County, Utah (PP-102-F)
This house built on 1.89 acres around the early 1970’s belonged to James William Bloom. Upon his death in 1986 it was left to his daughter, Carolyn C. Bloom. She later married Tommy Tanzer a Park City school teacher. The house was sold to Dr. Jeff Sumsion mid-2005; Sumsion sold it to Solim Gasparik in January of 2007; Gasparik sold it to Dr. Mark L. Wisniewski in 9/2010; he sold it to Gregory Meacham (189 Scholastic) who sold it to Falconhead Management Group/ Capitol Investment Group in January 2012. As of April 2012 Solim Gasparik is the Project Manager for ILOS, LLC the Developer who is constructing the controversial project for Soaring Wings Montessori School principals Bruce King and Duna Strachan. The project school came under hot public disapproval, evidenced by letters to the editor and articles in the Park Record newspaper, when the house was torn down without recycling the doors, windows, rock work, etc., and nearly century old black willows and spruce on the property were cut down and destroyed without consideration to their historical and environmental value.
Before demolition and tree removal in June 2012